Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Betty's Ahead of Her Time



I made Betty Crocker's Gluten Free Chocolate Cake this weekend. General Mills makes gluten free brownie mixes, cake mixes and chocolate chip cookies. I won't lie - they don't taste as good as gluten filled cake but they fill a need.

Here's what I have noticed - I like the cake mix more when I melt the butter before mixing it in. If I'm going to make a cake in a 9x13 pan it's best to use 2 mixes. Good frosting makes everything taste good.

The frosting is simple,
powdered sugar
milk
butter
vanilla extract - be sure to get gluten free vanilla extract. If you get a organic kind  it should be gluten free.

I mix all the ingredients until I think it tastes right. It comes out to be about 2/3 powdered sugar and 1/3 milk, butter and vanilla. You don't need much vanilla a tsp. at the most.

Any left over frosting I spread on gluten free graham crackers. A favorite treat from childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment